Monday, April 07, 2008

Wikipedia


Eastern Lewis County, Washington. I was out exploring near Mt Rainier, and saw an old truck off the side of the road in some trees. It was covered in moss and rusted out, clearly deserted for generations. I got out of the car, and as I approached it, I saw that it was not alone: I was in a graveyard of old trucks, an old farm trash heap full of rust and covered with moss, so long abandoned that a forest had grown up on top of it. #2 in a series.

In 1793, France adopted the Metre as the standard unit of measurement.
In 1915, Billie Holiday was born.
In 1943, Dr. Albert Hoffman first synthesized lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD).
In 1954, Jackie Chan was born.

Yeah, I know of wikipedia's "flaws." To my mind, those same "flaws" are known in other circles as "peer review." Peer review is simply the best system we have of publishing new ideas and having them critiqued and challenged in an orderly manner. The only essential difference between Wikipedia and established paper-based scientific/medical/technical journals is that information in Wikipedia can be revised on the spot, while information in journals takes months to revise. Remember: many scientists are just kooks with agendas, and many laypeople -Wiki users- are in fact just intelligent people with passionate interests.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love me some wiki. Love love love.