Saturday, June 21, 2008

Maury Island Incident

If I say I'm going to do something, and then I don't, what does that mean?

If it's a short-term thing, it seems to mean something different than if it's a long-term thing. Let's say I agree to meet you for lunch but I don't show up. That's a personal affront to you, whether I meant it that way or not. I might have forgotten; might have been killed or something on my way to meet you; might have just been so late that I missed you entirely, etc. The end effect is the same: I said I'd do something, and I didn't.

Now presume I say "next week, I'm going to make an ark," but I don't. No one's affected by this except me, but still, I said I'd do something, and then I didn't do it.

Now presume I say "after I graduate from college, I'm going to go to grad school."

I suppose that at different times, we speak with different voices. Sometimes it's a friend-voice (I'll meet you for lunch on Tuesday at noon), sometimes it's ambition (next week I'm going to build a boat!), sometimes it's hope (grad school, here I come!). I've dealt with a lot of liars and blowhards in my day, and I tire of them quickly.

Maybe that's why I'm so sensitive about the things I say, myself: I don't want to make promises I can't keep, don't want to make plans I can't follow through on, don't want to sound like some overambitious catterpillar who dreams about becoming a fish.

So, I don't talk much.

Today is FĂȘte de la Musique

In 1947, Harold Dahl saw six UFOs near Maury Island (now part of Vashon Island, in Puget Sound). Artifacts (slag) dropped from the UFOs killed his dog and injured his son. The next day, Dahl was visited by a man dressed in black who knew details of the event, though Dahl had not publicized it yet. The man in black suggested that Dahl’s family might be in danger if he did not keep the sighting a secret. This is thought to be the first encounter with the Men in Black.

No comments: