Monday, December 31, 2007

What a difference a day makes




Filters.
Focus.

I've spent the last year or so in the process of slimming down my life. Left to my own devices, and with no significant externally-imposed restraints, I will be interested in everything -architecture to zoology. And why not? It's a big, beautiful, fascinating universe we inhabit: why shouldn't I want to know everything?

Well, because the pursuit of Knowledge of Everything isn't really practical if you have Other Things To Do. One ends up wasting food coloring by putting drops in the toilet after you've filled it with milk, or filling one's yard with holes in order to see what's under the lumps that were there originally, or getting involved in politics. You know, that kind of thing. If I had a few billion dollars sitting around waiting to be spent (like Mitt Romney), I wouldn't worry about focus, but I don't, so I do. Er, did. I'm trying out some new filters, to help me screen out things that might enthrall me but which are not particularly relevant or helpful.

So here I sit in my new, streamlined life. It's not that I'm interested in fewer things, or that I'm less interested in anything; rather, I'm just resolved to not chase every metaphorical rabbit that runs by, because chasing every rabbit means that you catch none. No, I'm just going to do what every other rational, normal-ish person does normally, and that's focus. Just like my friend Mike Dickson told me to, in no uncertain terms, some fifteen years ago. He read me like a book. RIP, Mike. You're missed.

Focus.

I realized, a few days ago, that I have not set any goals for myself in ...years. I've had visions, ideals, dreams, ...but no real goals, and certainly no achievable ones. The last real goal I set for myself was to graduate from KU (bam! cum laude, thankyouverymuch). I had plans beyond that, but not firm or well-defined, and that lack of definition tripped me up on the road to grad school. Instead, I got a mediocre job to stem the tide of bills, and got sorely sidetracked for the next six years, until we moved.

What a difference a year-and-a-half of meditation makes, though. I finally feel like I'm back on my own track. My vision is clearing up again (
not that kind of vision- my eyes are fine). My sense of metaphysical direction is returning. I'm setting new goals. I have a plan.

Work, home, self. These are my priorities this year, very broadly. Work: to include leather and printing work, sales, production, design, wwweb marketing, shmoozing, photography (for documentation and marketing). Home: to include repairs, improvements,
non-ordinary cleaning, gardening, landscaping, general chores and errands. Self-stuff is more difficult to nail down, but I intend to balance my work/home life with plenty of time hiking, playing, and exercising.

And if you can't believe it really took me this long to figure all of this out, you're not alone. I can't believe it, either. I just hope I don't lose it again.

Hello, world!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Hi Ted!' -World