Sunday, February 10, 2008

St. Scholastica's Day Riot

I have a lot of work to do! It never ends! Like this is news...
Administration, marketing, production, website maintenance/development, and did I mention production? And gardening season approaches... I think I need to add a day to the week, at least for the duration of spring and summer. That, or eschew sleep entirely. Yeah, I said eschew-- when was the last time you used that word in a sentence?!


In 1355, the St. Scholastica’s Day Riot broke out in Oxford, England, after a dispute which started between students and locals over a beer, escalated into armed conflict. The riot raged for two days, leaving 63 scholars and almost 30 locals dead. The dispute was settled in favour of the university with a special charter, according to which, on February 10, the town mayor and councillors had to march bareheaded through the streets and pay to the university a fine of one penny for every scholar killed. The penance ended in 1825 when the mayor refused to take part.

Oh! And as I predicted, the GOP seems to be entering full Self-Destruct Mode. Go, boys, go!

No comments: