Sunday, March 09, 2008

Pomiculture


They're singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," and it was hot. They really brought it to life. It's still ringing in my head.

I am learning about pruning, the hard way. I found a book about caring for fruit trees, and it had a chapter on pruning older trees, so I read that (it has proven to be useful), but mostly I'm learning just by looking and carefully cutting. You have no idea how much wood is in a tree, until you try to prune it. You feel like you've removed a whole trees-worth of wood, then you look up and can't even see where you were cutting. Amazing. One of three trees is almost done now, two weeks after I started (we're working on the two apple trees at the same time, but one more so than the other).

In 49 bce, Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon, and in 1957, Osama bin Laden was born.
Is this irony?

No comments: