Monday, September 22, 2008

One step forward VS two steps back



Obama on taxes. Specific enough for ya? Federal income tax is important (duh?)- it mostly comes back to you in the form of local infrastructure- police, fire departments, roads, water supply, fun things like that. Lower taxes at the federal level always means higher taxes at the local level: property taxes, state income taxes, and sales taxes. The money has to come from somewhere, after all.

Obama on the economy. Yeah, it's a trifle dry, but hey, that's economics. The point is, he has specific plans, with good strong justification for his ideas. McCain ...has nothing but more of Bush's mess in store.

McCain on the economy
McCain on health care. Stunning.
McCain on ...honesty.

Remember: Obama graduated from Princeton, then graduated top of his class at Harvard Law, where he was also the first black President of the esteemed Harvard Law Review. McCain barely graduated, landing fourth from the bottom of his class at a military academy to which he was probably granted admission based on his military legacy.

On this day in 1776, Nathan Hale was hanged. “I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.”
In 1863, President Lincoln issued the
Emancipation Proclamation.
In 1869, Wagner’s “
Das Rheingold” premiered in Munich.
In 1964, “
Fiddler on the Roof” opened on Broadway.

On the home front: I'm not sure I can believe it yet, but I'm actually working on a new serigraph. What am I thinking?!?! Actually, in part, I'm being a little superstitious: I did the last one four years ago- a set of elephant 'portraits.' Yeah, elephants. Elephants are cool and all, though I don't fixate on them (as one might say I fixate on, say, goats, or cats); I did it in response to a conversation I had had with a friend who was really into elephants (he died of brain cancer before I could finish the print), but they're also the Republican "mascot." And of course, the Republican candidate "won." I'm not doing donkey portraits this time though. Or asses.

No, I'm doing a circle. Just a brushstroke. There's a work in the Spencer gallery in Lawrence KS, a Japanese ink painting on a large screen. It's so simple, so beautiful- a big circle, so spontaneous, so perfect: one big brushstroke with black ink. One of my favorite art objects, ever. I've ogled it for hours, thought about it for years, and finally decided to do a little homage: so I'm trying to imitate it with a serigraph. Very VERY different medium, in that the original was completely spontaneous and 'accidental,' whereas mine is sort-of rehearsed-spontaneous, a little practiced, but still largely accidental (that comes with doing circles freehand). I think the beauty of doing it with a serigraph is that screen printing is at once very controlled and rehearsed, while at the same time the results are very variable, depending on the qualities of ink and screen and paper, the skill of the artist-printer, and the environmental conditions (hot/cold, humid/dry, etc). I don't claim to be any good at screen printing: there's TONS I don't know; I probably don't even know enough to ask good questions about it, but I try anyway. Can't hurt, right?

No comments: