Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Melly Kalikamaka!


I used to hate Andy Warhol. As a kid, I always thought he was just making fun of art-patrons, sort of turning them into the punch line for his own private jokes. I still don't like him, personally, and frankly think most of his well-known work is overrated and overpriced, but you're not likely to hear me disparaging his ideas.

But before I knew who Andy Warhol was, or what he was about, I had a fascination with Pop Art and Op Art. As I came to figure out what the point of Pop Art was, I tried to grow out of it. Maybe I thought I was "above" it, or that it wasn't "serious art," I don't know. I idolized the masters, though, people like John Tenniel, Rembrandt van Rijn, Albrecht Durer, even painters like Greg and Tim Hildebrant or Ken Harris (Ken Harris!), not jokers like Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. But as I grew older and continued to make art of my own, I found that I just couldn't get away from pop art, as much as I'd have liked to, and now I find that I can't make a print without getting playful with colors like Warhol did.

Time makes fools of us all. Now I'm the joker ...but at least you're not the butt!

p.s. I have to give my respect to the rest of the great Looney Tunes artists, Robert Gribbroek, Philip DeGuard (background artist for Rabbit Fire and Rabbit of Seville), Peter Alvarado, and yeah of course Chuck Jones, because I never got the chance to tell them myself. Their work -with color, shape, texture, dimension, perspective, -hell, everything-- affected me so deeply that it took me years to realize where the influence had come from. They shaped the way I see the world. I would not be the same person, without them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

two things: 1. Loved the card again this year. I realized finally last year that I should have been saving all your cards all these years (5 years now!) and only can find last year's card. I'm always talking about loving original art, and here it was coming to me once a year in the mail and I wasn't keeping it??? Sheesh.
2. About the only way I can get kids to relate to opera in any form is by referencing Bugs Bunny. Bless him.